On the other hand, good old Crazy Glue has some pretty distinct advantages.
Let's break down several alternatives for my most recent hard-to-fix problem, a split on the tip of my thumb. When my skin gets dry and rough, I occasionally get a split on my fingers where the skin just cracks open. It isn't a convenient place to bandage, and even if you do any movement causes the crack to flex. Some choices:
- Bandage. Comes off, gets wet when you wash you hands, etc. Not too great.
- New Skin liquid bandage. What?? No, seriously never buy that stuff. It smells toxic and burns. Why would I put that on my skin? Why do they even sell that stuff anymore?
- Nexcare liquid bandage - spray. Too wide of a spray for this application, but great for scrapes.
- Nexcare liquid bandage - drops. Hard to find; I got it online. This is basically medical grade Super Glue, and works well anywhere but my hands. My hands are too high-use I guess. On my split, this stuff broke apart too quickly and I had to re-apply a few times a day
- Nexcare skin crack care. I haven't tried it, but it might be a good choice.
- Band-aid single use liquid bandages. I loved the single applicator packs that I could put in med kits, but they disappeared. The new ones require the dropper bottle, and aren't rated as well.
- Crazy Glue. This was the winner for me this round. I squeezed the crack together (not wanting the glue to touch my exposed lower layers of skin) and it held it with the plastic-like crustiness I expect from these kind of glues.
By the way, I settled on Crazy Glue rather than Super Glue, because Cody Lundin talked about using it for cracks on his feet (he doesn't wear shoes) in his book 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive. I highly recommend it. It also talks a lot about building your own survival kit, which is pretty important if you ever need it.
Disclaimer - I haven't evaluated Crazy Glue for medical safety.
No comments:
Post a Comment